A randomly updated podcast where I rant about random topics. Randomly. Because: Random.

18.9.12

Episode 000 - Fresh Start

Download now!

Listen now:



Episode notes and script after the jump.





Welcome to Water and Shade. I am Nelal Hurcran.

Yep. I'm back. Been a while, but then, I've had no idea what I wanted to with this podcast for a while now.

But I've think I've come up with my solution. I know what I want this podcast to be, and I have the beginnings of a plan on how to achieve that.

I've been kicking around for a while now different ideas on how to get my thoughts and opinions out into the wilds of the internet.

I considered starting a blog, and actually have done many times. The problem there, though, is that I'm not all that good at expressing myself through writing. I start off strong, and may have some good ideas to begin with, but more often then not I tire of it and it gets forgotten and left by the wayside. Blogging's out.

Why not then a vlog? I'm definitely not afraid of a camera, and I surely know how to showboat like no bodies business! But editing videos is a lot of work, and I'm a lazy creature. Plus, upload times are ridiculous, and I like to keep my computer useable at all times. Video's are also a no-go.

But podcasting… podcasting is something I can do, and do well. But also do quickly. Really, it's just me rambling my stream of consciousness into a microphone until I've passed my arbitrary time requirement. And audio files are so much smaller then video, making them easier to upload and to download, which means they'll be easier for listeners to enjoy. Having to only listen to a podcast, rather then sitting to read a blog or watch a video,  takes much less of your attention away from doing other things - like dishes, or laundry, or (more believably) beating the next level of your game.

But what to talk about? Well, to be honest, I tried laying out a format before, and it really just burned me out. It required researching and planning, and have I mentioned that I'm lazy? But why not just talk about whatever is interesting to me at the time? I already have a list of topics, ranging from TV shows to games, politics and books. All sorts of stuff.

So here's my plan: At least once a week, I'll hop here onto TalkShoe and record a quick podcast. Never more then fifteen minutes long, though I'd like to keep them above five at any given time.

And I'm using TalkShoe because they have free file hosting, so I don't have to pay for the server space, and you can just subscribe to the RSS feed.

I will also be posting these to a blog someplace, though back at Blogger, simply because it's easier to incorporate Google ads there. In fact, because I am actually writing scripts for these - can you tell that I'm reading right now? - I'll post those too, and it'll be just like a read-along. Only, you won't actually have to read, and the text will really just be there to help with Google searches.

One thing I do have to mention, though. Regardless of my laziness, not all of the recordings will be with this sad sound quality. At the moment, though, I don't have any other way to do this. Circumstances being what they are, I don't know when I'll be able to set up my full recording "studio" again. But I wanted to get started. I'm tired of waiting for the "right moment."

I'll be clearing out the old episodes as well. To me, at this point, they're just embarrassing, and though I know that nothing ever truly disappears from the internet, I will still do my best to hide them as far away from other people as I can.

I want to start this journey fresh. This is now my episode zero. And it's going to be a fun ride from here.

Join me if you will. If you won't, would you at least tell your friends so they can test the waters and make up their own minds?

Thank you, and until next time, may you find water and shade.

No comments: